Happy 150th birthday to Canada!
In honour of this special day, I have compiled some Canadian posts and experiences.
Full circle. The crazy thing about this first story is we left Edmonton, Alberta, heading west on the Yellowhead Highway (Hwy 16) the night after Canada Day fireworks and returned three weeks later via Red Deer, experiencing another round of fireworks!
Alberta and British Columbia
Two Provinces, Three Weeks, 101 Experiences
If you had three weeks on the road to create memories for a lifetime, what would you do? My answer? Almost everything!
Three kids and I, a tent, and an over-packed small car leave Edmonton, Alberta, heading west to Jasper National Park along the Yellowhead Highway on July 2 following a night of fireworks celebrating Canada Day…
- Sun and snow. Wildlife in Jasper, Miette Hot Springs, Jasper Tramway, climbing Whistler Mountain.
- Air, water, and land. Jasper National Park, Athabasca Glacier, Monashee Mountains, BC, helicopter and motorboat rides at Three Valley Gap, Sky Trek, the Tooth Fairy in the Enchanted Forest.
- Snowline to scorcher. Rocky Mountains to Okanagan Valley.
- Inspiration for a writer. Writing books and getting serenaded on the Fintry Queen ferry in Kelowna, bull-riding Ogopogo, viewing the iron lung used in polio treatment, a hayride and fresh-squeezed apple juice in the orchard, Osoyoos desert and orchards, car ferry at Balfour (see 8 km, Kootenay Lake Ferry picture below).
- Past and present. Creston, BC’s Retro Cafe, Frank Slide, Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump Interpretive Centre.
- Music, museusm, and amusements. Star Trek Station in Vulcan, AB, Tyrrell Museum, Badlands Interpretive Trail and hoodoos, Calgary Zoo, camping at Gull Lake, coyote howls, Sylvan Lake.
Land, water, air; heat and snow; mountain and prairie; city and country; people and animals—all were encapsulated in one non-stop action adventure tour.
There were a few things we couldn’t fit in. We didn’t take an airplane, we didn’t travel around the world, and we didn’t skydive…
This article will be published in Postcards from Canada, “an Anthology of short stories and poetry celebrating #Canada150 by members of the Writers Foundation of Strathcona County” (the WFSC Canada 150 Book Project). The book will launch on Saturday, September 30, 2017 at the Words in the Park event in Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada.
As for an airplane trip, six months later we boarded a flight to Hawaii. We left Hawaii at midnight of New Year’s Eve, watching the FIREWORKS display in the distance.
The article Two Provinces, Three Weeks, 101 Experiences also contains the following links to some of the historical sites and touristic attractions in Alberta (AB) and British Columbia (BC):
Frank Slide, Alberta: “When a mountain fell on a town.”
Before dawn on April 29, 1903, Turtle Mountain collapsed, burying 76 people in 100 seconds (90 seconds according to the sign on site) under limestone boulders, destroying three-quarters of the homes in Frank, Alberta, and destroying over a mile of the Canadian Pacific Railroad.
Head Smashed-In Buffalo Jump Interpretive Centre, Alberta: “Head-Smashed-In was designated a world heritage site by UNESCO in 1981.”
Helicopter Tours, British Columbia: Three Valley Gap (near Revelstoke), Glacial Helicopters and Heritage Ghost Town.
Jasper SkyTram, Alberta: Jasper, Canadian Rockies.
Sky Trek and Enchanted Forest, British Columbia: Monashee Mountains (near Revelstoke).
Vulcan Tourism and Trek Station, Alberta: “Live long and prosper.”
This blog article contains the lyrics to Land of the Silver Birch and My Paddle’s Keen and Bright, Canadian folk songs with an aboriginal perspective, along with memories of my youth while canoeing and travelling in Ontario.
An adventure on Lake Huron in Ontario.
A blog article by True North Nomad.
Rocky Mountain Road Trips
Road trip blog articles and photographs by author Mandy Eve-Barnett.
A Very Prairie Winter
The words I wrote to the tune of a well-known Christmas carol in honour of the November 27, 2014 blizzard with deep snow and -35°C wind chills.
Edmonton, Capital of Alberta
- All the Outdoors/Travel posts and photographs on this blog.
Check out Postcards from Canada
- Canada 150 Book Project on the website of the Writers Foundation of Strathcona Country (WFSC)