StumbleUpon Follow-Up: The Results Look Like This

Less than two weeks ago, author and blogger Dan Alatorre posted an informative article about how to use StumbleUpon (3 Ways StumbleUpon Can Get YOU Noticed), which I reblogged here.

Go over there right now and check out the screenshots of Dan’s graphs. I’ll wait.

I was intrigued by the huge spike in Dan’s graphs and the disproportionate number of referrals from StumbleUpon, so I dusted off my account and decided to give Dan’s tips a try. And you know what? Dan’s advice was spot on! Everything he said would happen, if his instructions were followed, worked.

So I had to write this follow-up post to show the proof. Below is a graph of visitors to my site as of January 22, mid-afternoon (orange bar). StumbleUpon referred five times as many people as WordPress Reader and three times as many as Facebook. The search engines referred only one visitor.

20170122trafficspike-share

I received a notification from WordPress that my stats were booming and my blog was getting more traffic than usual.

Thanks, Dan.

See also: Have You Stumbled Upon StumbleUpon? by Allison Maruska.

Do you want to add a StumbleUpon sharing button to your WordPress site?

Visit Jean M. Cogdell’s post How to add a StumbleUpon share button and watch the short video that shows you how!

Another article: Do you know how to Stumble? Get help from Toolbar by Jean on Jean’s Writing.

About Eva Blaskovic

I am a multi-genre author of literary fiction and fantasy, and writer of non-fiction articles on parenting, writing, education, health, and travel. My background encompasses both the sciences and the arts. I teach at a specialized clinic for learning difficulties and mentor young authors. In addition to writing and teaching, my passions are weather, Indian food, gardening, and music. I have played eight musical instruments and spent many years immersed in taekwondo and karate. In my youth, I was an avid canoeist. I was born in Prague, Czech Republic, grew up in Ontario, Canada, and moved to Alberta in 1988, where I raised four children.
This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to StumbleUpon Follow-Up: The Results Look Like This

1. Reblogged this on Dan Alatorre – AUTHOR and commented:
    See? Occasionally I get it right…

Liked by 1 person

2. I love it when one of my tips works. I mean, they ALWAYS do! That’s what I meant.

Thanks for sharing this. Great job!

3. danawayne423 says:

Very enlightening! Thanks for posting!

4. JJAzar says:

Very cool of you to share, glad this was a success!

Liked by 1 person

5. Add the Stumbleupon button on your posts, make it easy to Stumble.

6. A.S. Akkalon says:

I’m very confused about StumbleUpon, but it sounds so useful that I’d like to clear up my confusion.

There seems to be wisdom floating around on the web that you shouldn’t add your own material, but I haven’t been able to find out why. Is it just uncool to blow your own horn?

I was also warned that people who read your posts on StumbleUpon won’t turn into blog views because almost no one actually clicks through to your blog, they just read your post on SU. But looking at the figure you show this doesn’t seem to be true.

As I said, I’m bewildered and would love to see your torch in the dark. πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• I don’t know enough about it, but go to the link at the top of this article to Dan Alatorre’s post, which has the instructions. You may also be able to ask him your questions.

At the bottom of this post (under the graph) is a link to an article by Allison Maruska. She has also written about StumbleUpon and is bound to be far more knowledgeable than I am.

7. Pingback: How to add a StumbleUpon share button – jean's writing

8. StumbleUpon was once the largest source of traffic besides Google. In fact, it was a lot better 5han Facebook.

I had a work before where I manage a high traffic site. In those days, that site receive around 50k referrals from StumbleUpon per day. However, a few years ago, due to some complications, StumbleUpon’s referral rate continues to drop. And considering that other social media platforms are increasingly becoming more popular (especially FB), it’s no surprise that StumbleUpon’s referral rate would decrease.

Nonetheless, it’s still a decent source of traffic nowadays.

9. anderskermod says:

Hi Eva
    I just found this post by searching for “stumbleupon” on Goodreads. (Obviously, I was looking for stumblers who are also authors/readers.) I’d like to follow you on StumbleUpon but it’s not easy to find stumblers unless you know their username, so I wondered if you’d publicize it here? (Mine’s anderskermod, for what it’s worth.)

And thanks for the post. I’d been wondering whether SU was still relevant and this certainly suggests that it is.

Liked by 1 person

• My name on StumbleUpon is @eblaskovic (https://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/eblaskovic).

At the time of this post, SU brought a noticeable increase in traffic, although I’m finding that’s toned down somewhat. Perhaps because it’s summer? Time will tell.

What *is* interesting is that people are finding some of my older articles. I’m not sure what means led them there. I appreciate that you mentioned your route. Very interesting.

• anderskermod says:

I’ve only just started to explore StumbleUpon. I see that it could be a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it shows people your actual page straight off. Unless they bounce away within microseconds (slight exaggeration), that counts as a page view. But, as you’ll no doubt have noticed from some of the pages you’ve been shown there, your page may not necessarily be what they wanted to see. In that case, you’ll have the page view but no lasting benefit from it, such as a returning reader. My guess is that it’s probably worth it on balance. But I’d emphasize that that is a guess.

It was search that brought me here. Search is probably still the best way to discover things β€” though that’s complicated, too.

10. anderskermod says:

This is my tentative and preliminary view of StumbleUpon, based (obviously) on just a few days’ experience:

Liked by 1 person

• Well said. In line with your advice in the final paragraph, I have only put a few key pages of my own or others’ on my SU page.

I was also going to mention that since the writing of this post in January, I have not seen as good results in recent months.

What say you?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s