At long last, I was able to attend the magical event known as Words in the Park! This is because, after a series of life events and setbacks, I am only now back in full operation as an author.
Having taken 36 years to realize my dream of completing a novel–in 2011, on the day my first manuscript was finished, that amounted to three-quarters of my life–I would call myself a master of perseverance.
Words in the Park, part of the three-day Alberta Culture Days, ran on a rainy Saturday, October 1st at the Sherwood Park Community Centre AGORA in Sherwood Park, Alberta (near Edmonton). It was hosted by The Writers Foundation of Strathcona County, who teamed up with the Arts & Culture Council of Strathcona County to bring a book fair along with arts and culture displays.
At the cultural entertainment stage
- Aboriginal dance: story of the flute, Native flute music, and Fancy Dance performance in full regalia (Darrel Brertton)
- Acoustic guitar duo: Dahlia Wakefield with Alan Tymofichuk (spectacular singing!)
- Local singers/musicians: Kelsey Hoople (wow!), Gary Thomas (NGT Music)
- Hoop Dancing with Ordell Saddleback
In the author reading corner
- Poetry/memoire (Kathie Sutherland, Guy Chambers, Miji Campbell, Holly Ducarte)
- Fiction (part 1: Karen Probert, Eva Blaskovic, T.K. Boomer / part 2: Kelly Vass, Laini Giles, Mitchell Baker)
- Children’s stories (Mandy Eve-Barnett, Maria Jordan MacKeigan, Tom Dirsa)
- Non-fiction (Rick Lauber, Sue Lawrence, Cheryl Smitt)
Book sale and fair
- Author display tables (meet the authors, buy and pre-order books, items for free and for sale)
- Art displays
- Spinning wheel and items for sale
- Your Lifetime of Stories with Beth Rowe
- Introduction to African Drumming with Azure Drumming
- Hoop Dancing Workshop with Ordell Saddleback
Interactives and games
- Learn about music, draw and colour with an artist or illustrator, spin a creation on a potter wheel, chat with over 30 authors at the memoire workshop
- Draws and prizes
Words in the Park will take place again next year.
I will have these books for sale at my table in 2017: IRONCLAD (supernatural novelette) and BEYOND THE PRECIPICE (psychological suspense, literary fiction). DRUYAN (fantasy adventure novel) will be added in 2018.
Beyond the Precipice is in the final stages of publication of its second edition and will be available in December, 2016 online, through Dream Write Publishing, personally from me or at the Centre for Literacy, and at other venues and bookstores. Details and links will be posted here when available.
My personal thanks to Mandy Eve-Barnett, Linda J. Pedley, Words in the Park, and The Writers Foundation of Strathcona County.